The Student News Site of South Pointe High School

SPiN Wired

Eli Adams and Derion Kendrick Selected to Play in Shrine Bowl

Maddie Taylor, Sports Editor

This Sunday the Shrine Bowl committee announced the roster for the 81st annual Shrine Bowl game which will be played on December 16th. From the South Pointe roster, the committee chose Quarterback Derion Kendrick and Defensive End Eli Adams to participate.

The selection comes to no surprise to anybody who is a fan of South Pointe football, even Head Coach Strait Herron is not at all surprised due to the work they put it on the field.

“Obviously they are well known players across the state. What they have done so far this year, including their junior year, as far as stats and the way they play the game are incredible. Those guys that pick the Shrine Bowl participants watch videos on all of the players, and without a doubt they saw that DK and Eli are two of the best, that is why they were chosen,” Herron states on why Kendrick and Adams were chosen.

The selections are made public through a live stream and announced through Twitter. Adams was watching the live stream with his family gathered around while Kendrick was attentive to Twitter to find out the committee’s picks.

There was nothing but happiness from Kendrick and Adams when their names were announced.

“When I heard my name get called I was happy and excited about getting picked because I put in hard work for stuff like this,” Adams states.

Not only does the selection bring excitement, it also brings in a sense of realization and achievement to know that other people are taking notice of their hard work.

Kendrick states, “People are recognizing the hard work and skill that we’re putting on the field and outside of practice. And when it’s game time, they realize what we’re doing and that’s why they chose us.”

Being awarded this selection humbles Kendrick. He knows that people’s perception of him might not necessarily be true to his character. Kendrick hopes by being selected as a prestigious member of the Shrine Bowl team will change some people’s perception of him.

“Most people think that I’m a cocky player, but if you really know me deep down, I’m humble. People have their own opinions and it really doesn’t matter, I’m just going to play my game.”

There are many other star players on the Stallion team that did not get picked because the Shrine Bowl committee can only select two people from a school. Due to the limitations on the amount of people picked from each school Kendrick and Adams both realize how much of a privilege it is to be picked by the committee.

Adams states, “It is an honor and privilege to play in the Shrine Bowl and I am just lucky I got picked.”

Come out on December 16th to Wofford College at 2 p.m. to support both Kendrick and Adams compete for the last time together in their high school career.