SPiN Wired

Fields Earns York County Environmental Educator Top Honors

Shyheim White, Contributor

It’s been 16 years since the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks. Many of the current students at South Pointe High School weren’t born, but science teacher Susan Fields still tears up when she recalls that fateful day.

On that day, as the nation gasped in horror at the terrorist attacks, Fields’ older brother was trapped in a New York building.

As news and updates broke throughout the day, Fields anxiously waited to hear whether he was dead or alive.

That morning, a student had come into Fields’ classroom crying about the attack. She heard the horrible news and turned on the television to hear updates. She got on a phone and immediately called her brother to see if he was okay. She also called her husband Stephen, a co-pilot for the Charlotte Douglas International Airport, to see if he was flying a plane at the time.

Fields reached both her brother and husband and learned that they were both safe. When Fields recalled that day, her high-pitched voice thick with a New York accent begins to crack and tears fall slowly down her cheeks.

Fields’ biggest fear is dying young.

The disease she lives with constantly as a challenge is Lupus. This means she is supposed to avoid stress.

Unfortunately, her job is full of it. Fields is a South Pointe environmental and chemistry teacher.

“Students stop pushing away is my greatest hope,” Fields said.

The brown haired 6 foot teacher who yells down the hall, “Keep it movin” is Mrs. Fields. Each morning she usually wears bright colored shirts and black or burgundy pants. Fields stands beside her wood gain classroom door to welcome her first block students and to do her hall monitoring. Many students flood past the shiny titled A-hall past the purple walls.

She’s very generous and loves using the time out of her day to help others when help is needed.

Fields was born on August 26, 1969, in Glens Falls Hospital, Glens Falls, N.Y.

Growing up as a child, Fields had respectful, loving, demanding parents, who were awesome role models. Fields attended Hudson Falls High School in New York and graduated in 1986. She had a job to make money and loved going to basketball games. She also had a best friend named Stephanie whom she still keeps in touch with through Facebook. Her favorite subject in school was math and her least favorite was social studies.

Fields’ father’s parents lived next door to them. Her mother’s parents lived a few hours away. Her mother’s parents were volunteer firefighters and were strictly Catholic. Her dad’s mother, also known as “Grandma Cury,” was short with white hair and was a very pleasant woman.

Fields attended SUNY Morrisville Community College, SUNY Courtland Health Education, and SUNY Albany MED. She lived in the dorm with her roommate whose name was Pamela. Pamela was a sleep walker and one night Fields had a frightening encounter when she woke up to Pamela standing over her with a weapon in her hand. When she woke up, she alerted her Resident Assistance.

Fields’ favorite subjects in college were science, health education, and curriculum education. She participated In RA (Residential Assistant), Recreation Supervisor, and Chief of the Judicial Review Board also known as Campus Court. Her parents were excited for her to attend college.

Fields enjoy teaching science. She’s been teaching science for 19 years. She enjoys getting people excited about science. In 2001, she won the new Science Teacher of the Year in New York State. During the summer of this year, she also won the Environmental Educator of York County. The Walt Outstanding Educator Award is presented annually to a teacher who has promoted and implemented environmental education and activities in the schools. Named Walt Schrader, a dedicated environmentalists in Rock Hill, the award recognizes instructors with a love for the outdoors, expressed both professionally and personally, according to the press release about the award.

Fields will be recognized at November Rock Hill School Board meeting for receiving this award this summer.

Fields’ funniest memory was losing her eyebrows when she was sunburned. Another funny moment is when she was in middle school and a girl tied her shoes together and when she stood up she fell and everyone laughed.

Fields’ biggest dream is to meet JJ Watt and watch him play football.

She traveled to Dominican Republic in 2003. A trip to Aruba is the farthest she’s been from home.

Fields wants the power to fly and if she could be anyone, she’d want to be Mother Teresa.

Her second grade teacher Bonnie Yanklowitz is her favorite fan. Yanklowitz is still a friend of Fields’ family.

Fields’ biggest hope is for people to accept her generosity and to stop pushing her away when she extends a helping hand. Her philosophy in life is to “not judge others and pay it forward.”