SPiN Wired

College Basketball Starts Today

Vy Mai and Maddie Taylor

Today is the start of another great sport season: college basketball. It’s the time for redemption and big expectations, especially for Clemson and the University of South Carolina.

South Carolina Gamecocks Women’s Basketball will begin their season against Alabama State tonight at 7:00 p.m at the Colonial Life Arena. Having a record of 33-4 last year, the South Carolina team is currently ranked third in Division 1. Last year, USC women’s won the national championship, and now all eyes are on the Gamecocks on what they will do to potentially win another championship.

Tonight, South Carolina Gamecocks Men’s Basketball will play at Wofford at 7:00 p.m.  The Gamecocks were in the Final Four for the first time in school history, but lost to the Gonzaga Bulldogs 77-73. Due to leaders leaving, like Sindarius Thornwell, other players are going to have to step up and fill in the shoes, such as PJ Dozier.

Senior Aley Friel said, “Considering how far the USC men’s basketball team made it in the playoffs and the women’s team winning the national championship, I believe that they will make it pretty far this year. With the fans excitement from last year’s success, it will carry USC through this season.”

Another South Carolina team that has room for redemption is Clemson. Last year, they had a record of 17-16 and 6-12 in the ACC. This year, the Tigers hope to improve from their #11 standing in the ACC.

The Clemson Tigers Men’s Basketball Team will face the Western Carolina Catamounts tonight at Littlejohn Coliseum in Clemson beginning at 7:00 p.m. The Women’s Team will face Kennesaw State in Clemson tomorrow at 11 a.m.

The men’s basketball team are trying to rebound from a disappointing season last year, having an overall record of 17-16. The Tigers were always close in winning some of the biggest game of the year, but lost the games in the last minutes of the game.  Without star forward Jaron Blossomgame, the remaining Tigers have a big responsibility to fill. Senior forward Donte Grantham and Senior guard Gabe Devoe will have to step up as senior leaders in order to win the big games this year and achieve the big goal of competing in March Madness.

The Clemson women’s basketball team is also trying to bounce back from a disheartening season for the players and Tiger faithful. Sophomore post Kobi Thornton and Senior guard Alexis Carter are going to need to have breakout seasons in order to compete at the end of the year tournament.

This upcoming season is going to be one filled with competitiveness and hard work. Both Carolina teams are going to have to step up and play to their potential to represent South Carolina as well as their individual schools.