Four State Titles in a Row?

Vy Mai and Maddie Taylor

Throughout South Pointe’s history, the football team has won five state titles and are looking for more rings. The Stallions will move onto their fourth state championship in a row against the Hartsville Red Foxes this Saturday at Williams-Brice Stadium beginning at 6:30. Will the Stallions prevail and make history?

The South Pointe Varsity Football Team ended their regular season 14-0 and in region, 5-0. The average scoring points for the Stallions is around 45 points. They have been able to keep their previous opponents from scoring no more than 28 points. Their opponent, Hartsville High School, ended with an overall record of 14-1 and in region, they were 4-0. The average scoring points for the Red Foxes is 40 points.

Hartsville’s specialty is their wing-t offense. The wing-t offense features a lot of runs, allowing little margin for error for the Stallion defensive line and linebackers.

Head Varsity Football Coach Strait Herron states in reference for the preparation for the wing-t offense, “At practice, it takes a lot of work because you have to coach the guys up on how they block the schemes that they used. The linebackers have to read a little bit differently than what they are used to. We’ll take out defensive backs and put it more defensive linemen to have more guys up front for the run.”

DE Eli Adams states that since he is familiar with playing against Hartsville’s offense, he is just going to have to execute the game plan. He’ll do this by playing the game first, and then having his emotions come in second. Adams believes that there’s no pressure and he’s just playing the game that he loves.

Just like the Stallions, Hartsville is known to score a lot of points against their opponents. It is vital for the Stallions to be on their best game both offensively and defensively to get the game out of reach for Hartsville. WR Scott Robinson is going to ensure this by stepping up as a captain to lead his team to a win.

Robinson said, “I’m going to try and make sure that the guy stay sane and everybody uses sportsmanship throughout the whole game. We just wanna make sure that everyone is doing what their job is so that we can pull out a victory on Saturday.”

This Saturday game will be filled with big plays, loud crowds, and penalty flags. The big question in the air is if South Pointe can come out victorious against the Red Foxes.

“Our guys are always focused on the competition and on the game, so I don’t see any reason why we wouldn’t come out Saturday and not play as hard as we can. As long as they are doing what they need to do and the coaches are doing their job, you have to let God handle the rest and we’ll be okay either way,” states Herron.