The Greatest Showman Showcases Excellence

Vy Mai, Editor in Chief

On Dec. 20, “The Greatest Showman” premiered in the movie theaters which left fans of musicals and dramas excited. This movie is a musical based on the true story of P.T. Barnum and his efforts to succeed through imagination.

The opening scene was very intense due to the musical number called “The Greatest Show.” In this number, the main character, Barnum, struts through his acts and shows off his unique persons, which leaves his crowd astonished. The scene flashes back which brings Barnum back to his childhood where he hoped to become the greatest showman there was ever to come. For example, Barnum’s dad died, his lover leaves, and he is left in poverty. Because of this, Barnum had to steal and sell his own items in order to fulfill his dreams.

Barnum grows up and is able to make a living working for a trading company, but his company is bankrupt, which leaves Barnum to leave his job and with nothing.

Barnum tries to constantly impress his wife and children to give them the life that he promise: a life of luxury. Barnum has an epiphany and chooses to take matters into his own hands. He gathers together a group of unique persons and characters, such as “Dog Boy” and “Irish Giant,” who were not accepted in society and were mistreated because of their size and shape.

With this group, Barnum is able to fulfill his dream by becoming a showman of the circus that he has created. By putting people of differences on stage, he faces adversity with society, who attempt to jeopardize and expose Barnum’s circus. Not only does Barnum have to face against the many people who are against the idea of imagination, he has to manage his life between the circus and his family.

In the end, Barnum has fulfilled his childhood desire to become “The Greatest Showman,” even though he has broken and mended numerous relationships along the way.

Overall, “The Greatest Showman” deserves five out of five stars. Everything about the movie, from the soundtrack to the characters, was appealing.

The soundtrack contains ten songs, which mentions Barnum’s circus being the greatest show ever, a love between two of the characters, Barnum’s childhood and what he had to go through, and more. The soundtrack was so incredible because it was upbeat and the harmonies between the characters sounded real and filled with emotions. This soundtrack goes unnoticed by being the Hit No. 1 on the Billboard 200 Chart.

The characters in “The Greatest Showman” were amazing actors. There was not a single moment where the emotions felt in the movie were not resurfaced from reality. It felt as though every feeling presented had personally affected each actor, which showed in the movie.

Lastly, the best part of “The Greatest Showman” was that it was based on a true story. Because of this, it shows the audience watching that anything is possible and achievable if hard work and determination are put in. In addition, it illuminates the idea that every person should be treated as equals, despite their physical differences.

In the end, “The Greatest Showman” is highly recommended to everyone. This movie is so great that it does not fall into one single genre. It ranges from being a musical to a romance to a drama. “The Greatest Showman” will not leave many people disappointed.