Review: YMCA

Briana Monteith, Reporter

The YCMA, located at 402 Charlotte Avenue, is a great way for people to stay in shape for upcoming events including prom, spring break, or senior week.

When I entered the Charlotte Ave Y, I scanned my small keycard to get through the gates. Afterwards I walked through and had a free range of all the different options this Y offers.

The Charlotte Ave YMCA is equipped with much more than workout machines, most of which have been replaced within the last few years. This YMCA has indoor and outdoor swimming pools, swimming lessons, free weights, cardio and gym machines, two gymnasiums, racquetball courts, male and female locker rooms, group exercise classes, steam rooms and saunas.

Displayed is the weight room area.

I love this facility because it’s bustling and has so much room and so many more things to do. On the other hand, you might see this as a weakness. If kids get on your nerves, this is the site that houses the after-school and summer children’s programs.

Different classes are offered every day at different times. They have yoga, HIIT classes, and even spin classes.

When joining this Y, you first have to pick a membership type. You also have the options of how many people you want to add to a membership.

The most common to teens are the one person or two adults and dependents. That gives you an opportunity to be part of a family plan if you can convince your parents to join, or you can join and go solo.

After you pick a membership type, you then pay the joining fee of $25. The joining fee stays the same price no matter what type of membership you get.

The joining fee is a one-time fee and afterwards you only pay a monthly draft. The monthly draft gets more expensive the more people you have on a membership.

For the money, it’s one of the best workout options in town for what you get, and of course, you can use the membership at any York County locations. There are even ways to use the Y in other counties or states, but it means more money.

This Y had many employees on site to assist me if I needed help with machines, a workout plan, or if I needed to know where something is.  Each employee had a great attitude and was willing to help with anything.

After my workout, I got to relax in the sauna located at the back of the women’s locker room (the men’s has one too). The sauna allowed me to relax my muscles so they wouldn’t be as stiff and sore.

The Y at any location has a family atmosphere so you don’t have to deal with the stalker vibe some fitness centers have.

Though this is the biggest Y in Rock Hill, there is a Wellness Center on Heckle, the aquatic center on Rawlinson, and the Riverwalk Y, a new facility that is cool because you can move the workout outside on the nearby Riverwalk for running, biking or walking, or on the river itself since this location is near the kayak/canoe launch.

The Charlotte Ave YMCA is open Monday- Friday from 5-9:30, Saturday from 7:30-6, and Sunday from 1-6.

1 Comment

One Response to “Review: YMCA”

1. Erika Bell on March 3rd, 2018 9:44 am

Thank you for the great review!

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Review: YMCA

Entertainment

Review: Lazy 5 Ranch

• Review: YMCA

Gallery

Photo Gallery: “Moonlight & Magnolias”

• Review: YMCA

Entertainment

SPHS Theater Department Presents “Moonlight & Magnolias”

• Review: YMCA

Entertainment

Review: South Town Wake Park

• Multimedia

Review: iPhone 8 Plus vs iPhone X

• Entertainment

Review: Ye vs. the People – Kanye West (feat. T.I.)

• Review: YMCA

Entertainment

Review: Online Swimwear Apps

• Review: YMCA

Entertainment

Review: Bitty & Beau’s Coffee

• Review: YMCA

Gallery

Photo Gallery: South Pointe Hosts Their Annual Talent Show

• Review: YMCA

Gallery

Photo Gallery: Stallions Involve Themselves in Spirit Week

The Student News Site of South Pointe High School
Review: YMCA