SPiN Wired

Vy Mai Wins Journalist of the Year

Back to Article
Back to Article

Vy Mai Wins Journalist of the Year

Cashan McCoy, Managing Editor

On March 8th, friends and advisors of Senior Vy Mai, rushed into her journalism office, where all the hard work comes together. They were all screaming excitedly and telling her to open her email. Confused, Mai logged into her email and clicked on the only email she hadn’t read.

“Hi, Vy! Congratulations – You have been selected as the…” was highlighted above the rest of her emails. Mai was ecstatic but couldn’t comprehend the fact that she had won. Although she was surprised, none of her classmates or teachers were. They knew she would be awarded for all the hard work she had done not only this year as Editor-in-Chief of SPiN, but also throughout all four years in journalism.

Mai started journalism her freshman year to boost her GPA because she knew her English capabilities would allow her to preform well in the class. The first year, journalism was just another class, however in her sophomore year, she realized that she had less rules and more freedom to write what she wanted to.

With a “freedom of the press,” mindset, Mai found that journalism could consist of articles on topics that she enjoyed and wanted to share with South Pointe. This new style of writing granted Mai the position of Entertainment Editor, where she found passion in reporting quick news briefs and sports.

As the year went on, Mai started to find new ways to put out material she enjoyed. She began making videos of football and interesting South Pointe news. Journalism started to become a new hobby for Mai and she began taking it more seriously.

Junior year, Journalism teacher Cindy Koon decided that because of Mai’s high standard work, she would start being trained for Editor in Chief of SPiN Wired. Mai began working with previous Editor-in-Chief, Shelby Beckler, making interview questions, posting articles on the website, and creating captions for the pictures they took. Mai caught on quickly and once senior year hit, she was more than ready to take over SPiN.

This year, Mai is always seen walking around with a camera in hand conducting an interview, or in her office typing a mile a minute. With the stress of IB classes and Editor in Chief duties, Mai was skeptical about competing in the Journalist of the Year competition, but after some convincing from people who knew her work, Mai decided to give it a go.

Since it took so long to convince her that she could win, Mai had about two weeks to do it.

“It was hard to find things to put up for competition because I didn’t think any of it was good enough to help me win, but I still continued to look for material I had done. Halfway through the two weeks, I had half of the website done, I didn’t believe I had enough time to finish it and I didn’t want to put something up that I wasn’t proud of. So, I took a day off to have some time to reflect, and then ended up finding enough motivation to finish it,” Mai shared.

The finished product of Mai’s website was clean, interesting, and reflective of the solid work she had done in Journalism. Click here to view the award-winning website: vymai.weebly.com