Review: Bitty & Beau’s Coffee

Hayden Fowler, Reporter

Bitty & Beau’s Coffee is a modern-style coffee shop in a historic surrounding at 159 Church Street, Charleston. It’s run by people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD).

The store is open daily from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. and is never quite full, according to employees, which is a plus considering Bitty and Beau’s smaller size. On the other hand, the shop’s mission is gigantic: “Changing the way people see, value, accept, include, love, and respect other people.”

Bitty & Beau’s was founded by Amy Wright, a proud mother of four children, two having Down syndrome, and the winner of CNN’s 2017 “Hero of the Year” award. The Wrights hope to make the world a better place for their own kids and others who live with IDD. The coffee shop was originally named “Beau’s Coffee” for the Wright’s eldest son, Beau Wright, but was renamed “Bitty & Beau’s Coffee” in celebration of Beau’s 12 birthday, who asked for his sister Bitty’s name to be apart of the brand, in Dec. 2016.

On a field trip with English teacher Madeline Maingi’s English III classes, I was welcomed by the employees with joy-filled invitations to come inside. The environment created by the employees was bright and comforting with both delicious aromas, and blissful seating areas.

The servers loved asking us questions and were more than happy to take our orders.

Bitty & Beau’s Coffee offered a menu with a variety of low-priced, yet high quality, frozen beverages, regular and iced coffees, and light snacks. Merchandise ranging from stickers and mugs to tumblers, T-shirts, and tote bags can be bought from the shop and can make a visit to Bitty & Beau’s even more memorable.

My group purchased a range of drinks, including cotton candy and caramel frappes, strawberry smoothies, and vanilla iced coffees. Each item was only around $5 with tax, which could be considered “pricey” when compared to other coffee shops like Dunkin’ Donuts, but is overall worth it when considering the quality of the products and the treatment from the employees.

After thanking the employees for such great service, we asked to take a picture and they were more than happy to comply and ran to us with open arms.

Bitty & Beau’s Coffee brought only positivity and was one of the best times that I have had at any type of restaurant. Great service, great food, and an all-around great atmosphere are only some of the factors that make me highly recommend this coffee shop.