Review: South Town Wake Park

The South Town Wake Park  has become very popular to the community in the small time it has been open.

The South Town Wake Park has become very popular to the community in the small time it has been open.

BT Potter, Reporter

Everything about South Town Wake Park on Rambo in Rock Hill is beyond satisfying. The creation of this venue is something you can tell the owners didn’t take lightly. No matter what they did with the wake park, they made it the best they could. One of the things I like the most is everyone can use it and have fun with it. This place is beginner friendly and they have a good place to learn. The workers are great and know what they are talking about, which really helps you when learning.

South Town Wake Park is a place where you get pulled by a cable around a pond while gliding on the water. Since this park is run off of a cable, there is no wake so it’s a smoother ride. The park is filled with ramps and grinding rails. At this park you can do any sort of wake sport such as wakeboarding, skiing, and surfing on the cables. They have a beginner’s course for people who are trying to learn which is separate from the park the pros and more advanced riders tend to ride on. On the other side of the beginner’s course, they have an open area to swim or ride paddle boards and kayaks.

With all of these fun activities at the park, the pricing isn’t all that bad. For 2 hours it’s $35, 4 hours its $45 and $55 for the whole day. If you need to rent a wakeboard that will be an extra $14. To ride you’ll also need a life vest and helmet, if you don’t have one you can rent them. A life vest cost $8 and helmet cost $6.

As far as atmosphere, the park has a Christian background, with the mission of making people feel really welcome. They also allow dogs to be on the property which is something most wake parks do not allow.

The strengths of this park vary, but one of the most important one is the safety. Most people don’t realize, but when riding at a cable park, you have no chance of getting run over by a drunk boater or even drowning because the water isn’t extremely deep. You have to wear a vest, and people can get to you quickly.

Another big plus of being at a cable park is the calmness. At the lake there will be many boats creating big waves and you will not be able to ride smoothly at all. A lot of beginners can get really frustrated on the lake but not so on the quiet water at the wake park, where obviously no boats mean no wakes, and no waves.

Both of the negatives from my visit are only short-lived concerns. I went May 5, the first time I attended this park, which was the grand opening. The line was enormous in the beginning, and obviously this problem will be fixed with time. One other thing that was almost average was the lawn care. This problem won’t last long considering that the park just opened and it is “grass-growing season.”

Overall, I think that this place is outstanding. It’s something that our county needs since we are trying to become the sports capital of the world. The wake park is going to bring in many customers, which will help our economy here in Rock Hill. This is a great place to take people who have never been wakeboarding but would love to try.  I think that this place will do big things in our area and be around for a long time. I give this venue a 5/5 stars.