SPiN Wired

Review: Halloween

Hayden Fowler, Copy Editor

“Halloween” features well-renown serial killer Michael Myers, as portrayed by newcomer to the series James Courtney, and heroine Laurie Strode, played by Jamie Lee Curtis who has been a part of the movies since the original was released in 1978.

This terrifying chapter to the films takes place 40 years after the original. Michael Myers has been held at an institution located in Haddonfield, Illinois after going on a killing spree and stalking Laurie Strode during the 70’s. During a bus transport to another facility, the deranged murderer escapes and makes his way back to his hometown in an attempt to wreak havoc upon the town and take revenge upon Laurie. After suffering from the tragedy, Laurie starkly carries on with her life all while attempting to maintain a wholehearted relationship with her family and preparing herself and family for the worse: the return of Michael. He returns and continues to do what he does best, no matter how evil it may be, kill.

Director David Gordon Green reinvents the story and uses chilling camera-work to subtly, yet brutally haunt the audience with stunning theatrical shots. Many callbacks and references to the previous can be found throughout the film and if you are a fan of the series, then they will definitely stand out to you.

A surprising amount of plot-twists are showcased and will constantly have you sitting on the edge of your seats. If not, it’s more than likely due to horrific and gruesome scenes created by the actors. Saying that this film has a decent amount of jump-scares would be an understatement considering how often Michael seemingly comes out of nowhere to frighten you when you least expect it.

The final scenes of the movie may possibly be some of the best and it is all thanks to the actors and their interpretations of the subject matter. Jamie Lee Curtis’ transition from a feeble babysitter, as shown in the originals, to powerful and cunning grandmother particularly stand out. Her granddaughter, Allyson, and friends represent exactly what it means to be a great addition to an already decent movie, especially in the horror genre.

As a whole, “Halloween” succeeds as a horror/thriller movie and will satisfy your needs if you’re looking for a good scare. The film is perfect for the holiday season and will not disappoint.

Rating: 8.5 out of 10

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Review: Halloween”

1. Kofi Quansah on October 30th, 2018 12:10 pm

cool

2. Skyla on November 2nd, 2018 12:19 pm

wow!

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Review: Halloween

Entertainment

Thank u, Next Review

• Review: Halloween

Entertainment

Review: Lazy 5 Ranch

• Review: Halloween

Gallery

Photo Gallery: “Moonlight & Magnolias”

• Review: Halloween

Entertainment

SPHS Theater Department Presents “Moonlight & Magnolias”

• Review: Halloween

Entertainment

Review: South Town Wake Park

• Multimedia

Review: iPhone 8 Plus vs iPhone X

• Entertainment

Review: Ye vs. the People – Kanye West (feat. T.I.)

• Review: Halloween

Entertainment

Review: Online Swimwear Apps

• Review: Halloween

Entertainment

Review: Bitty & Beau’s Coffee

• Review: Halloween

Gallery

Photo Gallery: South Pointe Hosts Their Annual Talent Show

The Student News Site of South Pointe High School
Review: Halloween