SPiN Wired

Marvel Comic Icon Stan Lee Passes Away

Back to Article
Back to Article

Marvel Comic Icon Stan Lee Passes Away

Hayden Fowler, Copy Editor

Nov. 12, 2018 came as a saddening day to the comic community and its followers and fans as “Marvel’s” Stan Lee passed away at the age of 95.

Lee, born as Stanley Lieber on Dec. 28, 1922 in Brooklyn, NY, served as a creator and writer to countless Marvel comic heroes. From Spider-Man, Iron Man, Hulk, and Thor, Lee inspired the likes of a multitude of characters and writers within the comic-book municipal. 

Lee’s career as a creator and influencer for comics began when he was hired as an editorial assistant for “Timely Comics” at the age of 16. His career only launched from there as he and fellow Marvel paragon, Jack Kirby, created “The Fantastic Four” as a starting point for the beginning of their successful and well-known careers. 

While playing a large role in “Marvel Comics”, Lee also went on to create “Stan Lee Media” and “POW! Entertainment” in an attempt to pursue other projects while also consistently working with the Marvel franchise. 

Lee’s creations assisted with the establishment of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, otherwise known as the popular “MCU”, in which he famously cameoed in every single one of the sanction’s films, as well as most other Marvel-inspired movies that don’t coexist with the MCU, like “Daredevil”, “Fantastic Four”, and “Venom”. 

The characters that Lee has created have come to life on the big screen and the actors of the characters have responded greatly towards the horrendous news through multiple forms of social media to pay tribute to the man who started it all. 

“I owe it all to you…Rest in Peace Stan,” tweeted “Iron Man” star Robert Downey Jr. with the inclusive hashtag “#Excelsior”, which was featured as Lee’s most iconic catchphrase. 

“There will never be another Stan Lee,” said “Captain America” actor Chris Evans, “For decades he provided both young and old with adventure, escape, comfort, confidence, inspiration, strength, friendship and joy. He exuded love and kindness and will leave an indelible mark on so, so, so many lives. Excelsior!”

Four days after Lee’s passing, he was put to rest and buried based on his final wishes as claimed by his company, “POW! Entertainment”. 

Lee’s impact within the realm of comics and all forms of entertainment in general will forever last as his career has played such large roles in the lives of many. Lee’s influence would not allow Marvel to be where it is today and would not have touched the heart and souls of as many fans as he truly did. Stan Lee’s life will be mourned by his friends, family, and fans as those who he loved and was loved by reflect upon his life.