SPiN Wired

Two of South Pointe’s Players Compete in the Shrine Bowl of the Carolinas

Back to Article
Back to Article

Charlotte McGuinness, Sports Editor

South Pointe’s starting center and cornerback, seniors Jackson Chappell and Jaylen Mahoney, competed in the Shrine Bowl of the Carolinas game at Wofford College on Saturday, Dec. 15. Mahoney is a Vanderbilt University commit and Chappell has many offers consisting of Presbyterian College, Wingate University, Newberry College, and a preferred walk-on at Coastal Carolina University.

Before the game, Chappell and Mahoney practiced for a week, starting Dec. 9, practicing one to two times a day. Along with practice, both Carolina teams visited the Shriners Hospital for Children in Greenville, S.C.

Mahoney notched six tackles and Chappell played an all-star game for South Carolina. Chappell said, “The visit to Shriners Hospital opened my eyes to different obstacles kids face everyday that are life hindering and showed me how blessed I was to be able to do what I love to do…” and Mahoney agreed that, “The hospital was a great experience because you realize how blessed you are with the abilities you have, and those kids looked at us as heroes along with it being a great college experience playing and bonding with players you don’t really know for a week”.

The Stallions represented South Carolina’s team tying 10-10 against North Carolina.