SPiN Wired

Review: Bohemian Rhapsody

Back to Article
Back to Article

Review: Bohemian Rhapsody

Hayden Fowler, Copy Editor

The iconic British rock and roll band, “Queen”, has touched the lives of many through their influential and unique songs for generations. 20th Century Fox introduced fans of the band to the new critically acclaimed film, “Bohemian Rhapsody”, titled after one of Queen’s biggest hits, on Nov. 2, 2018. Although the reviews of the film have varied, a majority of the fans were not disappointed in the film’s attempt to show the lives of Freddie Mercury, Brian May, Roger Taylor, and John Deacon and their journey through a variety of genres and musical styles.

Freddie Mercury, as portrayed by American actor Rami Malek, stars in the film and begins his voyage through the rock and roll genre by introducing his fellow band-mates to a new style of music that stands out compared to the “typical” charms previously presented to the musical community. While the majority of the film defines Queen’s music, it also presents Mercury’s struggles to discover his sexuality and his fight through the AIDS Epidemic.

Director Bryan Singer successfully depicts Queens’ story and shows what it took to become what they are today.

The movie features the band’s most renown hits like “Bohemian Rhapsody”, “Don’t Stop Me Now”, “We Will Rock You”, “Killer Queen”, “Another One Bites the Dust”, and many more, while also showing the progress it took to form their many successes through the use of callbacks to the recording studio, the home of Freddie Mercury and his once fiancé, Mary Austin, and one of the most iconic performances of the century: Live Aid.

While the film is more or less Mercury’s own, it also illustrates the rest of the band by including each members’ own featured songs and backstories, no matter how subtle they may have been.

One flaw “Bohemian Rhapsody” may have presented was its lengthy run-time of 2 hours and 13 minutes. While this may seem like a very extensive amount of time to sit through a movie, the cast and crew did a phenomenal job to make sure the audience was captivated with the story’s drama and music, which many fans-alike already knew much about.

Even for those with a lack of experience with Queen and their history, new fans to the band were most definitely intrigued to want more, whether it was because of the music or the script, the film was anything but a bore.

“Bohemian Rhapsody” has topped the box-office for weeks, while also providing fans with an exclusive film soundtrack that highlighted Queen’s greatest and most well-known songs that brought back what made them a success in the first place.

The actors and filmmakers effectively attracted a variety of movie-goers and accurately portrayed the lives of Queen and showed how nostalgic the band’s music truly is. “Bohemian Rhapsody” was extremely enjoyable and will not disappoint fans of the group or newer audiences alike and is a must see for all.

Rating: 9 out of 10