With Video: South Pointe JROTC passes regional inspection

Cadet Corbett receiving a Top Performer award from Major Bailey

Out of the 495 high schools in South Carolina there are 41 high schools with the JROTC program. Once every three years, a regional inspector travels across the state evaluating cadets and majors at each program.

Inspectors evaluate certain factors such as how well the school district supports the program, office space, uniforms, and how well the drill and physical fitness areas are kept up to standards. They also evaluate teachers with height and weight checks and how the majors manage money and run the program.

On Monday, South Pointe High School’s JROTC went under inspection by Major Bailey, the Regional Director for 150 JROTC programs. Although there are improvements to be made, the South Pointe JROTC received satisfactory on their inspection this Monday. The two instructors, Master Sergeant Davis and Major Gray are new to this program, but were able to meet the requirements necessary to pass the inspection.

How does a program like JROTC help students later in life?

Major Bailey said that high school kids in JROTC graduate with communication and management skills that business leaders and the military are looking for.

“JROTC teaches the students how to be good citizens,” Bailey said. “It teaches them responsibility, self discipline, and core values that they will have to be successful in life.”

After the inspection on Monday, seniors Garrett Corbett, Andrew Swiger and Leah Eason received Top Performance Awards in JROTC. (Pictures below)

By Claire Benson, news editor

Pictures by: Alicia Howley, entertainment editor

Videography Holden LeCroy, editor in chief